Thursday, March 31, 2011

Examination of FAITH, KNOWING, HOPE, TRUST, WANT, WISH

I've been examining these concepts for awhile now and am interested in how other people think about them...I'd love to revise based on my new understandings. So make me a liar, find me the holes -- I won't be offended.

Any other terms you think might be interesting to play with in this realm of investigation and human-truth seeking? POST!

------------------------------------------
FAITH demands no proof, exists outside the realm of proof. It's strictly spiritual and personal. It is believing something without question or doubt. It is absolute. (e.g. Everything will be okay. Such and such WILL happen.)

"Faith is a substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Hebrews 11:1

KNOWING is a worldly experience. Knowing is mental and not spiritual. It involves facts -- something that can be agreed upon through repeated experimentation and objectivity. (e.g. scientific knowing: I know when I let go of this pencil, it will drop to the floor because of gravitational force. e.g. personal knowing: I know that I like chocolate because every time I taste it, I am pleased.)

HOPE involves some worldly experience (senses, science, measurement, history, personal history) -- enough proof and enough doubt to keep us from faith. (e.g. I hope my husband isn't cheating on me. He has these certain behaviors which make me believe that he's cheating...but I can't be sure, I don't have all the facts.")

TRUST is faith built on worldly experiences and is personal and scientific. (e.g. personal trusting: I have seen John behave in a certain way enough times under certain circumstances that I can expect that John will behave the same way again under those same/similar circumstances. My friend has betrayed me by doing x,y,z; therefore, my trust has been breached. e.g. scientific trusting: I don't trust this plank to support me walking on it because the wood is flimsy and bends when I step on it; i've stood on flimsy things before and I have fallen.)

WANT is something that comes from our humanity (mind, body and emotion), something we long for, something we *will* to achieve, something ego-based/selfish. Wanting often creates action toward achievement of an outcome/result. (e.g. I want my grandmother to heal from cancer"...so I start looking up remedies and treatments. I want my husband to hug me more often or initiate fun things to do. I want to learn Japanese so I can feel smarter or so I can visit the country and communicate effectively.) Wants are a means to an end.

WISH is something that we want to magically appear/happen, but have no energy to put any effort into it or feel/know we have no control over. (e.g. I wish my grandmother would live forever. I wish I would win the lottery. I wish she wouldn't judge me so harshly. I wish for world peace/domination. ;) I wish I had a hamburger RIGHT NOW.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home